1.08.2011

Project Sole.

Today was spent getting down and dirty with tools, bins, shelves, boxes, and a lot of dust. Step one of Project Sole was to clear out and then reorganize the storage room. What is Project Sole you ask? Ah. Sole would be a reference to the new elliptical trainer I have my eye trained upon - pun intended.

I guess it would be a horrible cliche to say that 2011 is going to be the start of a new me, so I won't say it. I'll just think it. Send that energy out into the universe. A friend of mine has dropped 100+ lbs in 2 years. In her second year of weight loss, she purchased the Sole E35 and used for the entirety of 2010, and continues to use it on a daily basis. You should see her, she looks EFFING fabulous. And her story has helped rekindle my own drive to be healthy and svelte.

Now that we have room for the elliptical, tomorrow I'll be going to check out the machine. Really though, my mind is pretty much made up. I want it. I'm getting it. Done. Maybe even Big Red will step on every now and again. I'm not holding my breath, but should he decide he wants to get his heart pumping a little, it will be there.

To ensure a "fun" workout, I've arranged the room so that the direction of the elliptical will face a storage shelf which now holds our spare TV. While there's no cable down there, I'm hoping to procure an inexpensive DVD player. I've got plenty of movies I can pop in to keep me occupied while I burn and shred my way to a healthy physique.

In addition to the elliptical, I've committed to being on the marathon relay team at work. A few of us decided we wanted to give the marathon a go, albeit relay style. I'm not quite ready for a full 26.2, but I'll never say never. I finished a marathon in 1999, and at the time I did say, never again. But, as time has passed the romantic notion of another marathon has slowly made its way into my sub-conscience. I will though, say NO to this year's full marathon. That's just not possible.

There are a few joggers at work and I've let them know that I'll be bringing my sneakers on Mondays and Wednesdays, if anyone wants to join. While I normally like running solo, ear buds in with some cheesy 80s tunes to keep me company, it is nice to have another buddy to keep you in check. And that's exactly what happened. Last Wednesday, I brought my gear, but was pretty much ready to scrap the run. I felt tired all day, could't stop thinking of my bed and how wonderful the pillow feels under my head, etc. My jogging partner found me at the end of the day and asked what time we'd be leaving to hit the pavement. In an instant I realized I couldn't cop out on him so I told him to give me 5 min. to change, and off we went. 2.5 miles. It was rough, it sucked, I could hardly keep up with the conversation, but I did it.

I know numbers don't tell the whole story, but they do give a clue. As of today, I'm 168 lbs. My goal is 135 lbs. That's 10 lbs lighter than what I weighed when I got married in 2007. I know it's a tough goal, but hey - aim high, no? I'm going to take it one day at a time, and try not to get caught up in what should happen or where I should be in a month.

For right now, I'm going to take care of me TODAY.

No comments: