2.06.2011

Pounds vs. Inches

I keep a chart of my progress up behind the elliptical trainer. I have columns for entries in the following: weight, bust, waist, belly and hips. Every Sunday morning I get up, take my measurements, weigh myself, and record my findings.

As anyone who has ever endeavored to lose weight knows, sometimes the progress doesn't always show up on the scale - and that can be incredibly frustrating. We're a number driven society, in more ways than one, and when the scale doesn't budge, despite a week of hard workouts and good eating, it can be very frustrating. That's why it's so important to keep tabs on inches.

This morning I weighed myself, and the scale stubbornly revealed no loss. SHIT. I stepped on and off, on and off. Nothing changed. Stuck at 164 now for two weeks. I was pissed and disappointed, but not discouraged. I knew better. I knew that this week's hard was not for nothing. When I took my measurements, true progress was revealed: a loss in all points of measurement! SWEET.

For the month of February I have added some mild weight training, upped the length of my runs, and added time on the elliptical. I have to remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat, and if I'm building muscle, the scale may not always reveal true success.

I refuse to get frustrated. I know I've got to keep moving forward because the loss in inches is what matters most, not necessarily the number on the scale. Although it's hard to wrap my head around that sometimes, I know eventually I'll fall below 164.

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. The Steelers vs. Packers. We're making hot sausage sandwiches, and I am going to have one. Just one. No need in torturing myself, but I will hold back from totally gluttony. Moderation, moderation, moderation.

Go Steelers!

No comments: