4.19.2012

Pinterest. That's Why.



Pinterest. That's my newest online obsession and the reason for my fifteen day absence from this blog. Have you tried it yet - Pinterest? It's wonderful and addicting and wonderful. Did I say wonderful? Think cyberspace walk-in closet for all the things you like, want to try, wish you had, hope to make, long to someday complete. I've been quite partial to the collecting of recipes, one of which I'll be sharing with you in just a few short paragraphs.

Other than my blog negligence, life is lovely. Big Red is flourishing at his new job.  He just got back from several days at a race in Virginia. He reports having had a blast and learning plenty about the Formula 2000 racing gig. I baked two batches of man-sized oatmeal raisin cookies - one with dark chocolate chips and one with Reese's peanut butter chips. They went over very well and it felt good contributing somehow. I have no problems being marked as the cookie maker, and will happily send the hubs packing with fresh batches each time he travels. It's both comforting and warming to see Big Red so happy these days.

Olive has a new friend, Buddy the Beagle. Buddy lives next door and belongs to our awesome neighbors. Olive and Buddy play very well together and it's rather amusing. After a play date, Olive almost always comes in pooped and content. I like that she has another dog to play with as I think it's important to her quality of life. Sure, Big Red is an excellent playmate, and I do mean excellent (he gets down on the floor and basically wrestles with her), but no doubt Olive enjoys the company of another canine friend.

The goings on at work are copacetic. We have just 8 weeks (hallelujah!) left in the school year. It's hard to believe my students will be seniors next year - my beloved punks, the same ones I've been teaching for three years now. There has never been, and there will never be another group like the class of 2013. Through a series of circumstances and scheduling, they have been, almost exclusively, the only students I've taught for the past three years, and they will be my students again for their final year. Four years I've had the same students. Four years. Incredible.

Photo Credit: Lunch Box Bunch

Time for some grub. This recipe sniped from Pinterest lead me back to the blog, Lunch Box Bunch. The recipe calls for three parts: making the quinoa, prepping the stuff that gets tossed into the quinoa, and then making a slaw. When I made this earlier in the week, I made all of it. I wasn't too keen on the slaw, but the quinoa part was oh so yummo. I was pretty sad when it was all gone. If you click on the photo credit, it will take you to the website with the full recipe. What I'm including below will just be my adaptation and what I  enthusiastically recommend. And yes, it's vegan. BONUS!!

Curried Quinoa

Step 1: Make the Quinoa
1 1/2 tbsp Curry
2 tsp sea salt
2 1/3 cups dry, unrinsed quinoa
3 cups water
1/2 cup orange juice


Heat your quinoa ingredients on stove in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 11 minutes. Turn off heat. Let sit, lid-on for about ten minutes. Lift lid and fluff with fork. 


Step 2: Make the "Toss-In" Portion
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed or warmed)
1/2 cup salted cashews
1/2cup sweet onion, chopped
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup tahini (add less for fluffier quinoa)
2 Tbsp maple syrup (or agave - I used agave)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast

Add the toss-in ingredients to the still-hot saucepan with the quinoa. The warm quinoa will gently heat and cook these ingredients. Yet the onions and cashews will still stay nicely al dente.

Grab a wrap or tortilla of choice, fill with magical qunioa mix, throw on some Frank's Red Hot (fabulous addition), and consume. I had some leftover after two glorious evenings of this wrap, and just took the quinoa in to work for lunch the next day - still delicious. You could omit the cashews if you're concerned about calories, but definitely add a nice crunch. Try this. You won't regret it.


No comments: