4.13.2011

palak paneer.

I like to think of myself as a foodie, but I'm not sure if I've actually earned the moniker just yet.  When I come across new recipes, I get excited, and when I have the opportunity to try something new, I definitely don't back down from it.  Last year a friend introduced me to a local Ethiopian restaurant.  I really wasn't sure what to expect and went in with an open mind, and palate.  It was delicious!  Apparently not everyone likes the spongy bread, injera, but I found it quite pleasing.

Last weekend I found myself at the home of some friends with a plate of palak paneer.  Palak paneer is an Indian dish that is made with spinach (palak), paneer cheese, and a wonderful spice called garam masala.  The end result is something like creamed spinach and it's wonderful.  After filling my belly with this newfound jewel of a dish, I promptly requested that the recipe be emailed to me so that I could try it at mi casa.

Thankfully, just a few blocks from where I work, there is an Indian market.  I was able to pick up both the paneer cheese and garam masala, and I made palak paneer this evening.  My only regret is that I didn't make twice the batch. There's probably enough for two, maybe three more servings. Big Red hasn't had a chance to try it yet; he's out doing some side work.  Maybe he won't like it and then I can have all the leftovers...

No comments: