8.23.2011

the end.

Today marks the official last day of summer for this gal. It's been a good one. I wanted the summer of 2011 to be a productive one, one that I felt didn't slip through my fingers.  I feel good about the past nine weeks; I accomplished much of what I set out to do, and even added a few bonus items that I wasn't anticipating. One of those bonus accomplishments was learning to knit. Mom, while here, helped me get started on a blanket. I only know two knot/stitches, but it's a start. The blanket on the other hand is going to take me a long, long, long time to finish.

This morning I put Mom on plane back to California. The alarm went off at 4:45 am, and we were out the door by ten after 5 am. I just got a call from her about half an hour ago - she'd already landed, had her bag and was waiting for Dad to pick her up.

I miss her already. Ouch.

I've said before that I don't regret our choice to move out here, but forever and ever I'll carry with me the debt I have paid to make our life out here happen. The cost was leaving behind my family. It isn't something I'm constantly thinking about, but it sure sucks when I have to drop Mom off at the airport after a fabulous 10 days together.

Oh, and that shirt she set out to make? She finished it last night. Just like I said she would.


I requested a couple more tops and sent her home with some money for fabric. We'll see what she comes up with! Big Red and I are hoping to make it to California for Christmas this year. I'm definitely going, but we've got to play it by ear as far as Big Red getting time off from work. Thankfully, Christmas is just a few short months away. Actually four. Not that I'm counting or anything.

After dropping off Mom I came home for a nap, then went out for a little retail therapy and some back to school clothes shopping. I love what I got and am looking forward to wearing it. In fact, I'm looking forward to the start of the 2011-12 school year. Who knows what stories, what laughs, what frustrations year 8 as a teacher will bring me. I welcome it all (at least as of right now). As much as I'm ready to get back into the classroom, I'm definitely going to miss my summer pal:



I so enjoyed hanging out with Olive these past couple of months. I hope she knows how much I love her, and what happiness she brings to our home.  I plan on continuing our daily walks, just swapping out the morning time for evening. Perhaps even Big Red might join us.

This summer brought so much relaxation, plenty of good reading, some quality writing, two house projects finished, I tested out some new recipes, and I added a couple of new toys including my newest baby - a Cannon EOS Rebel T2i. So LOVING my new camera. I've even got a few photography projects on the horizon including another friend who is pregnant and is going to let me shoot her maternity photos this Autumn when the leaves are at their prettiest.

Sweet summer, you've done right by me.
See you again next year.

No comments: